The Town of Fountain Hills encourages involvement in government through volunteerism. Many department services are enhanced and provided with great cost savings because of the generosity of time and talent given by the citizens of Fountain Hills. Volunteers enable the Town to improve the community in many ways as they extend and augment the work of paid staff.
- The Give a Lift Volunteer Trasnportation Program
- Finance Department
- Adopt -A - Street Program
- Teen Court Program
- The Activity Center
- Parks and Recreation special events
- Hosts and Hostesses for Town Hall Meetings and Open Houses
- The Home Delivered Meal Program
- Art Walk Docents
- Front Desk Attendants at the Community Center and Town Hall
- Boards and Commissions
- Youth Coaches for Basketball and Sporting Events Aides
- Park Trail Stewards
- Administrative filing, grant research, and special projects
- Make a Difference Day
- Save Our Sculptures (SOS) Program
- Annual Volunteer, Club & Organization Fair/EXPO
- Assist with Annual Volunteer Reception
- Assist with quarterly Volunteer Coffees
- Assist with creation of Volunteer Handbook
- Assist with database maintenance
Most of these volunteer opportunities directly work with residents and visitors in Fountain Hills. In addition to the various volunteer opportunities available, new positions can be created in order to match the skills and interests of prospective volunteers. The presence of volunteers in the Town Hall, Community Center, Courts, or Activity Center is crucial to a vision that is focused on expanding and enhancing the services the Town is able to continue to provide the community.
Benefits to the Town
There are many benefits for the Town to support a strong volunteer base. Fountain Hills has always had a solid history of volunteer service. Their commitment to service is shown by the energy, skills, enthusiasm, vision, and support that they bring to our Town. Volunteers in Fountain Hills are:
- delivering over 10,00 meals to homebound, elderly, or ill residents, yearly,
- providing transportation for over 200 residents unable to get to medical appointments, pick up prescriptions, buy groceries, etc.
- participating in environmental and recycling efforts,
- assisting with special events throughout the year,
- beautifying our streets through the Adopt a Street program,
- beautifying our parks
- serving as volunteer coaches in our recreational team sports,
- instructing in our classes throughout the Community and Activity Center,
- building and providing maintenance to our trails,
- researching and writing successful grants- bringing even greater value to the Town,
- serving as unpaid Interns in the IT Department
- working with our current software system to allow for departments to search the Business License data by nature of business, as well as updating the contractor portion of the Munis Business License Module, of great value to all departments,
- providing workshops on better communication skills at the work place, boosting morale, and developing better work habits,
- conducting sidewalk studies in order to complete the sidewalk system,
- leading art walk tours to residents and visitors of our public art pieces,
- creating botanical garden guides,
- participating in the Make a Difference Day and directly serving residents
- cleaning sculpture pieces monthly,
- providing customer service and welcome to residents and visitors at Town Hall and the Community Center,
- serving on advisory committees, boards, and commissions,
- assisting with the Mayor's Youth Council
- and much, much more!
It may seem overwhelming to try to quantify the economic value that our volunteers give to the Town. However, when faced with the possibility of trying to replace volunteers with paid staff, their benefit becomes very apparent.
While dollars are still tight in Fountain Hills, the Town is still able to keep providing services, thanks to the assistance of volunteers. In 2010, volunteers of all ages contributed 23,167 hours during the year adding to the quality of life that residents have come to expect, and only with the help of volunteers can continue to receive. These hours translate into savings of $451,293 to the residents of Fountain Hills. (Using the Corp. for National and Community Service research (http://www.nationalservice.gov) which is based annually on data collected by the U.S. Census Bureau and Bureau of Labor Statistics, the Independent Sector (http://www.independentsector.org) provides an estimated dollar value on volunteer time. In the State of Arizona, using the latest numbers available from 2009, the hourly volunteer dollar value is $19.48.
Volunteers enable the Town to improve the lives of its citizens by providing essential services and desired amenities as well as foster civic engagement through service. We work with a volunteer pool of more than 700 volunteers yearly and welcome the opportunity to work with you! A wide variety of service opportunities exist for individuals and groups, from fourth graders through our active senior residents, from a few hours to years of service. We welcome and invite you to serve! It's good for your health and fun, too! Apply now to play an even bigger role in our wonderful community!
Please direct questions and comments to:
Heather Ware, Volunteer Coordinator
Tel: (480) 816-5108
Fax: (480) 837-3145