Mayor's Youth Council
To provide Fountain Hills youth with opportunities to present their perspectives on youth issues by serving as a liaison to the Mayor, Town Council, and youth, and learn how government functions as well as create and lead programs that appeal to high-school students.
Who are we?
The Mayor’s Youth Council is a dynamic group of high school students dedicated to serving their community by accomplishing its mission through volunteerism and civic participation. More than a community service organization, the MYC instills leadership skills that participants will use their entire life.
What do we do?
MYC members will have opportunities to plan and participate in a variety of projects:
- Meet two Tuesdays of the month, 4:30 – 6:00 p.m. @ Town Hall, Upstairs Fountain Conference Room
- Assist with identifying important issues for youth in Fountain Hills
- Attend and participate in one Leadership Overnight Retreat
- Attend a variety of field trips- including trip to State Capitol and St. Mary's Food Bank
- Provide leadership in the Make a Difference Day project
- Participate in a variety of community service projects led by youth
- Serve as a listening board to youth and provide the Mayor and Council information from their perspective
- Promote a sense of civic involvement and community pride
- Become a positive role model through responsible leadership
- Members will have an opportunity to have their voice heard by elected leaders in town
- Members will provide input and create programs, services, and events
- Members will learn valuable leadership and job skills
- Members will obtain Community Service Hours needed for graduation
- Members will have fun and meet new friends
- Members will engage in meaningful volunteer service
- Members will receive recognition for their participation
Becoming a member
Mayor Linda Kavanagh invites all Fountain Hills students in grades 9 – 12 to join the Mayor's Youth Council. We're looking for students who are genuinely interested in the mission of the council, who are motivated and eager to make a difference in the community and represent their peers, as well as learn about local government, make new friends and have fun!
Please pick up a MYC Application in the Fountain Hills High School office or click here for an application or at any kiosk in Town Hall, Community Center or the Library. MYC Applications accepted through the month of September, 2017. Return applications to Jodi Langworthy in the High School office, your English teacher, drop off, or mail to MYC Advisor, Heather Ware (email@example.com).