Local Candidate Elections
Town Elected Officials
The Mayor and six Town Councilmembers are local elected officials. There are no term limits in Fountain Hills, so there is no limit to the number of times an incumbent may run for office.
- The Mayor is elected for a 2 year term.
- Town Councilmembers serve staggered 4 year terms.
Election CycleTown Council elections are held in the fall election cycle of even-numbered years and the next Town Candidate Election will be held in 2018.
The Town's next Primary Election will be held August 28, 2018, with the General Election held November 6, 2018 (if a run-off election is necessary).
The Mayor position and the following three (3) Councilmembers' positions: Nick DePorter, Henry Leger, and Alan Magazine will be be filled by the results of the Primary Election or General Election, should a run-off election be required.
Information for qualified electors who need to register or update their registration information may be found on the Maricopa County Recorder's Election website or Arizona Secretary of State's Voter Registration website.
Please note that Town of Fountain Hills "non-partisan" Candidates are included on the same consolidated "partisan" ballot with other local, County, State or Federal agencies who are holding their elections in August and/or November 2018.
The 2018 Primary and General Elections will not be mail ballot elections; Polling Locations will be available within the Town of Fountain Hills on Election Day. To find your polling site, please use the "Polling Locator" link below:
Running for Office
The 1st step to become a candidate is to pick up a candidate election packet from the Town Clerk's office.
Requisite number of signatures on the nomination petitions:
Minimum signature requirement: 198 Maximum signature requirement: 395
The "official filing" of a Candidate's "nomination paper/financial disclosure statement/nomination petitions" must be submitted to the office of the Town Clerk not less than 90 days (April 30, 2018) and no later than 120 days before the date of the Primary Election (5:00 PM on May 30, 2018).
Write-in Candidates - A.R.S. §16-312.B
The "official filing" of a Write-in Candidate's nomination paper/financial disclosure statement must be submitted to the office of the Town Clerk no later than 5:00 PM on July 19, 2018.
Candidates, please contact the Clerk's office to schedule a convenient time to submit and file the requisite paperwork for your candidacy.
For more information about the candidate election or packet, contact the Town Clerk at 480-816-5115. Many forms are available from the Forms and Information page.
Candidate Packets will be available beginning Monday, October 2, 2017 through the Town Clerk's office located at:
Fountain Hills Town Hall,
16705 E. Avenue of the Fountains, Fountain Hills, AZ
Town Hall is open Monday - Thursday; 7:00 AM - 6 PM; Closed on Fridays
Candidate Election Packet Includes:
- Arizona Secretary of State's Candidate Committee Campaign Finance Handbook
- Arizona Secretary of State's Financial Disclosure Statement Handbook
- Campaign Contribution Limits
- Candidate's Non-partisan Nomination Paper and Write-in Nomination Paper
- Council Rules of Procedure - Resolution 2014-09
- Financial Disclosure Statement form - Resolution 2016-40
- Nomination Petitions (in sufficient quantity to collect the maximum number of signatures)
- Political Committee Campaign Finance Report
- Political Committee Statement of Organization
- Political and Ideological Sign Guidelines
- Termination Statement
- Title 16, Arizona revised statutes (regarding elections and electors)
- Town Code, Chapter 2 (Mayor and Council)